Madison, WI – Need another example of how State Senator Leah Vukmir and Kevin Nicholson are Wrong for Wisconsin? Both would make it harder for women and families to access basic health care.
Vukmir has voted to cut $7.5 million from Planned Parenthood, which serves more than 60,000 patients across Wisconsin. Meanwhile, in an ongoing effort to appear the most conservative, Nicholson bills himself as “strongly pro-life” – after once standing with groups that protected a woman’s right to choose.
“At a time when we need to make health care more affordable and more accessible, Leah Vukmir and Kevin Nicholson actually want to hurt women and families,” said Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Martha Laning. “Vukmir has spent her political career promoting legislation that would deny women the right to make their own health-care decisions, while Nicholson simply can’t be trusted on the issues that matter to people most.”
- Vukmir Supported Legislation That Would “Take Away $7.5 Million In Federal Funds From Planned Parenthood.” [The Capital Times, 10/21/15]
- Vukmir Voted Against Republican-Backed Legislation That Would Have Required Hospitals To Make Emergency Contraception Available To Rape Victims.[Capital Times, 1/24/08; Project Vote Smart, AB 377]
- Vukmir Supported Legislation To Ban Non-Emergency Abortion Procedures After 20 Weeks Of Pregnancy With No Exemptions For Rape, Incest, Or Health Of Mother. [Associated Press, 6/4/15]
- Vukmir Worked To Ban Morning-After Contraceptive Pill From University Health Clinics, Said It Promoted “Bad Choices.” [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 6/17/05]
- Nicholson Changed Positions On A Woman’s Right To Choose, Saying At the 2000 DNC That He Supported It, But Saying In 2017 That He Is “For Every Bill That Moves Us Closer To Pro-Life.” [Democratic National Convention, 8/14/2000]; [The National Pulse, 3/7/17]
- AP: “Wisconsin GOP Senate Candidate Praised Abortion Rights Group” Before Running As A “Strongly Pro-Life” Conservative. [Associated Press, 7/31/17]