Democratic Party of Wisconsin on Supreme Court Taking Up Abortion Medication Case
MADISON, Wis. — Today, Democratic Party Chair of Wisconsin Communications Director Joe Oslund released the following statement in response to the Supreme Court taking up the Fifth Circuit’s decision on mifepristone—a safe and effective medication prescribed by doctors to administer more than half of the abortions in the United States and manage miscarriages:
“Make no mistake: as Donald Trump and MAGA Republicans push this country toward a national abortion ban and the Supreme Court hears this case, Wisconsinites’ freedoms are under threat. If the Supreme Court restricts access to mifepristone—a safe and effective abortion medication—it will be an alarming step towards Trump and Republicans’ ultimate goal of stripping away Wisconsinites’ reproductive rights after Trump-appointed justices helped overturn Roe.
“Wisconsinites are sick and tired of seeing their rights rolled back time and again, but the GOP continues doubling down on their extreme war on their freedoms and promising to go further. Next November, Wisconsinites will remember Trump and Republicans’ attacks on their reproductive rights and that their freedoms are at stake in 2024.”
President Biden and Vice President Harris will protect a woman’s right to choose, and they have a record of:
- Calling on Congress to codify the protections of Roe into law and restore the rights women relied on for nearly 50 years.
- Standing by the FDA’s evidence-based approval of mifepristone—and the Biden-Harris Administration will continue defending the FDA’s independent expert authority to review, approve, and regulate a wide range of prescription drugs.
- Fighting to ensure access to emergency medical care
- Strengthening patient privacy and access to contraception.
- Supporting a woman’s right to travel for medical care.
- Promising to veto a national abortion ban.