FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 20, 2022
Contact: Julia Hamelburg (email@example.com)
Wisconsin Democrats Applaud President Biden’s First Year in Office
MADISON, Wis. – Today, on the one-year anniversary of President Biden’s inauguration as president of the United States, Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Ben Wikler released the following statement highlighting the relief Democrats have delivered for Wisconsin’s working families over the past year:
“Thanks to leadership from President Biden, Democrats in Congress, and Governor Evers, this has been a year of tremendous growth for our country and state. In just one year, the Biden-Harris administration has passed two major legislative packages – the American Rescue Plan and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law – which are lowering costs for middle-class families, helping small businesses recover, and securing a brighter, greener future for our children. And they made all of this progress with Republicans in Congress hellbent on undermining the country for the sake of partisan gain. There’s no question: Wisconsinites are better off now than they were a year ago thanks to President Biden and Vice President Harris.”
Since taking office one year ago, President Biden and Democrats have delivered for working people. In their first year, the Biden-Harris administration has led on the following issues:
- Job Creation: The greatest year of job creation in American history, with more than 6 million jobs created.
- Unemployment Rate: The biggest single-year drop of the national unemployment rate in American history, dropping from 6.4% when Biden took office to 3.9%. Wisconsin now has one of the lowest unemployment rates in its history at 3% — that’s one of the lowest in the country — and one of the highest labor participation rates in the nation.
- Unemployment Claims: The average number of Americans filing for unemployment is at its lowest level since 1969. When the president took office, over 18 million Americans were receiving unemployment benefits, today only 2 million are — also the biggest single-year drop in history.
- Economic Legislation: Passed the most significant legislation in terms of economic impact by any first-year president.
- Child Poverty: Experts estimate the U.S. had the lowest child poverty rate ever in 2021.
- Expanded Access to Health Care: Nearly 5 million Americans have newly gained health insurance coverage.
- Reduced Hunger: The number of households reporting that they sometimes or often did not have enough food to eat dropped by 32%.
- Judges Confirmed: The Biden-Harris administration confirmed more judges to lower federal courts than any president since President Kennedy.
- Judges That Reflect Our Nation: This administration appointed more Black women to the U.S. Court of Appeals than any other president – even over 8 years – in history.
- Diverse Cabinet: The Biden-Harris administration appointed the first majority non-white Cabinet in history, with most women in the Cabinet – including first woman Treasury Secretary, first LGBTQ+ and Native American Cabinet officials, and the first woman Director of National Intelligence.
- Climate Investments: Made the largest investments ever in the power grid, electric vehicle chargers, and climate resilience.
- Clean Water: Made the largest investment and national, bipartisan plan to get safe and clean drinking water to all Americans.
- Cleaner Cars: Set the strongest vehicle emissions standards ever – to save drivers money at the pump and reduce pollution.
- Wind: Set the first-ever approvals of large-scale offshore wind projects.
- Personnel: Appointed the most diverse administration in history – most women, people of color, disability, LGBTQ+, first-generation American, and first-generation college graduates.