ICYMI: “If Johnson had his way, seniors would lose retirement benefits and be hung out to dry”
“It’s been a promise that if you work hard and pay into the program, you can retire with dignity. Ron Johnson wants to break that promise, threatening to strip millions of Wisconsinites from their Social Security benefits.”
MADISON, Wis. — Following Ron Johnson doubling down on his threats to cut Social Security and Medicare, Wisconsin senior Carolyn Kaiser slammed him for attacking the livelihood of her family and hundreds of thousands of other retired Wisconsinites.
The Cap Times: Voting Republican Puts Retirement Benefits At Risk
- “Like more than a million Wisconsinites, both my husband and I rely on Medicare and receive Social Security. These programs have been our lifeblood, allowing me and my husband to enjoy our retirement without worrying about going into debt.
- “Hearing Senator Ron Johnson callously threaten to cut these programs that we have paid into for decades is a slap in the face.
- “Our elected officials should be working to support us, not make our lives harder. But, this is what we’ve come to expect from our self-serving senator.
- “Thanks to Medicare, we’re able to have affordable health care. We live in rural Chippewa County, so it’s extremely important for us to have reliable health care, especially since my husband has had numerous surgeries.
- “Through Medicare, having coverage that includes telehealth has been crucial to making care accessible to our community.
- “Medicare allows us to focus on our health and not the logistics of receiving care. Which is how it should be.
- “To know that Senator Ron Johnson and other Republicans in Congress want to put these programs on the chopping block is heartbreaking.
- They are working to take away health care for millions of people – and if Republican politicians get their way, people across our state could struggle to afford doctor’s appointments and medication.
- “Every time Ron Johnson and his fellow Republican politicians attack Social Security and Medicare, it reaffirms the fact that Republicans in Congress do not care about seniors and our livelihood — they only care about themselves.
- “It’s been a promise that if you work hard and pay into the program, you can retire with dignity. Ron Johnson wants to break that promise, threatening to strip millions of Wisconsinites from their Social Security benefits.
- “Senator Johnson has had the privilege of never worrying about depending on Social Security, unlike the rest of us who have spent our entire lives paying into these programs and need them to survive.
- “If Johnson had his way, seniors would lose retirement benefits and be hung out to dry.
- “It’s time to put an end to Senator Johnson’s attacks on Social Security and Medicare and the only way we can do that is by beating him at the ballot box this November.
- “Our health care, our retirement, and our livelihoods are on the line. We cannot allow Ron Johnson to continue to work against Wisconsin’s best interests.”