FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 22, 2022
Contact: Julia Hamelburg (firstname.lastname@example.org)
FACT SHEET: Ahead of ACA Anniversary, Biden’s Rescue Plan Lowers Health Care Costs for Wisconsinites
MADISON, Wis. – Tomorrow marks the 12 year anniversary of Democrats’ Affordable Care Act becoming law – which lowered health care costs, reduced premiums, and increased access to health care for tens of millions of Americans. Thanks to the American Rescue Plan passed by President Biden and Democrats in Congress, Americans have seen their insurance premiums and health care costs further reduced over the last year.
Read a full fact sheet outlining how the ARP lowered costs for Wisconsin here, or see key excerpts below:
Across the country, President Biden’s rescue plan lowered costs and increased health coverage:
- Due to the ARP’s enhancements, 14.5 million Americans nationally gained health care coverage – by signing up or automatically re-enrolling in individual market health insurance coverage through federal and state Marketplaces.
- This represents a 21% increase from 2021’s Open Enrollment Period, prior to the enactment of the ARP.
- One in seven uninsured Americans gained affordable health care coverage, contributing to a substantial decline in the number of uninsured Americans. The gains occurred from the fourth quarter of 2020 to the third quarter of 2021.
- 5.8 million more Americans have health insurance today than a year ago. Under the prior administration, between 2016 and 2019, 3.6 million Americans lost coverage.
In Wisconsin, the rescue plan expanded access to affordable health care coverage:
- In Wisconsin, 212,000 people enrolled in a Marketplace plan during this year’s Open Enrollment Period.
- Health care coverage increased by 11% across the state due to the ARP’s expansions.
- Americans saved $800 per person last year, and thousands per family thanks to the ARP cutting costs and lowering premiums.
Families saved an average of $67 per month per person in premiums – giving families across the country a little more breathing room at the end of each month.