Job Title: Latinx Community Organizing Intern (Paid)
Reports to: Regional Community Organizing Director
Salary: $15/hour, intern benefits package
Expected Hours: 10-20 hours per week
Start date: ASAP
Proudly a Bargaining Unit Position with the Campaign Workers Guild!
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: WisDems is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2021-22 election cycle, WisDems will drive a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. WisDems’ work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: A Paid Internship will provide individuals with opportunities for meaningful hands-on experiences working on projects and being part of a team while contributing to the larger goals of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. You will help build local grassroots teams that will then engage in direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment, and volunteer retention. This includes learning the political process and preparing for future political opportunities whether you choose a political career or volunteer path. Lastly, it’s also a great way to grow connections and memories.
- Participate in volunteer outreach by calling potential Democratic volunteers.
- Help ensure voters are equipped with the correct tools to register to vote.
- Assist in the relational organizing program.
- Work with your team members to help launch successful events, such as Weekends of Action.
- Work to build local grassroots volunteer teams that will then engage in direct voter contact in the Latinx community
- Other duties as assigned.
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal-Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Strong Work Ethic and Problem-Solving Abilities.
- Project Management – Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities; attention to detail.
- Fluent in Spanish
- Intermediate experience with GoogleSheets, GoogleDrive, and Microsoft Suite.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Intern Benefits: BetterHelp virtual therapy, intern events to promote career development, career-building sessions, Employee Assistance Programs, flexible schedule, fully vested in the retirement program, and a free monthly subscription to Calm.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note on COVID-19: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations due to disability, medical condition, or bona fide religious belief will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.