Job Description: Organizer
Reports to: Regional Organizing Director
Wages: At least $963.00 per week with guaranteed 50 hours (10 overtime) a week at 17.51/hr and 26.27/hr overtime
Proudly a Bargaining Unit Position with the Campaign Workers Guild
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: The WisDems is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2024 election cycle, the WisDems will continue to build a program to elect candidates up and down the ballot in Spring elections and beyond as well as organize around important issues. WisDems’ work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: As a Field Organizer you will build local grassroots teams that will then engage in direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment and volunteer retention. You will be responsible for executing a field program that works to elect Democrats up & down the ticket by building & maintaining the local volunteer infrastructure necessary for success in the Spring Elections and beyond.
- Work to elect all Democrats up and down the ticket.
- Work to build local grassroots volunteer teams that will then engage in direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment and retention.
- Create a strong inclusive progressive presence in communities within your assigned turf.
- Implement grassroots organizing tactics, including managing and executing effective activities, such as friendbanks, high traffic canvassing, canvassing & phone banks.
- Work to develop strong relationships with local stakeholders and constituency groups, including county party leaders and members, local grassroots organizations and activists, and partner and ally groups in the months in between elections.
- Help to build the local volunteer infrastructure necessary for success in the Spring Elections and beyond.
- Responsible for executing the 2023 & 2024 statewide organizing and outreach programs across Wisconsin.
- Meet or exceed metrics based goals for volunteer recruitment & retention as well as direct voter contact.
- Be a representative of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin and our policies, including neutrality as directed.
- Desire to fight for Democratic values and candidates.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills are a must. Namely, can connect with others, motivate & quickly gain trust with volunteers, staff, community members, and coalition partners, including in particular across lines of difference.
- Growth Mindset – Able to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal-Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Ability to work long days with irregular hours. You have the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up your sleeves and getting the work done.
- Applicants should have access to reliable transportation, and be willing to travel frequently.
- Previous organizing experience is preferred, but not required.
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short term and long-term disability (free), TalkSpace virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, mileage reimbursement, monthly cell phone stipend, paid vacation days (starting at 10 days), retirement plan with 3% employer match, 4 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQIA+ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note on COVID-19: Candidates will be required to verify that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, except where prohibited by law. Fully vaccinated includes receiving any booster shots recommended by the CDC or other public health authorities within the timeframe recommended. Reasonable accommodations due to disability, medical condition, or bona fide religious belief will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.