Job Title: Campus Organizing Intern
Reports to:Youth Organizing Director
Salary: $15/hr, Plus see below for details on the DPW generous benefits package
Location: Campuses across the state
Start date: February 2023
Expected Hours: 10-20 per week
Proudly a Bargaining Unit Position with the Campaign Workers Guild!
About The Democratic Party of Wisconsin: WisDems is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. During the 2023 spring election cycle, DPW will drive a massive program to elect a progressive majority to the state supreme court, elect candidates up and down the ballot and work to build volunteer-led coalitions for the long term. WisDems’ work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: A Paid Internship will provide individuals with opportunities for meaningful hands-on experiences working on projects and being part of a team while contributing to the larger goals of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. You will help build local grassroots teams that will then engage in direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment and volunteer retention. This includes learning the political process and preparing for future political opportunities whether you choose a political career or volunteer path. Lastly, it’s also a great way to grow connections and memories.
- Work to build grassroots teams on campus that will then engage in direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment and retention.
- Implement grassroot field tactics, including managing and executing effective activities, such as high traffic canvassing, door-to-door canvassing, voter registration, texting, and more.
- Work to develop strong relationships with local stakeholders and constituency groups, including College Democrat chairs and members, local grassroots organizations and student organizations, and partner and ally groups.
- Help ensure voters are equipped with the correct tools to register to vote.
- Create a strong inclusive progressive presence in communities within your assigned turf
- Assist in the relational organizing program.
- On year requirements include working outside of normal work hours; including canvassing and other election-preparation as necessary.
- Growth Mindset – Ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly Goal-Oriented – Enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals. Keeps calm in stressful situations. Has the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Cultural Competency – Able to build authentic relationships across lines of difference, such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, ability, gender identity, citizenship status, or other identities. Understands how to take an inclusive lens into all aspects of work.
- Strong Work Ethic and Problem-Solving Abilities.
- Project Management – Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities; attention to detail.
- Intermediate experience with GoogleSheets, GoogleDrive and Microsoft Suite.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Benefits: BetterHelp virtual therapy, intern events to promote career development, career-building sessions, Employee Assistance Programs, flexible schedule, fully vested in the retirement program, and a free monthly subscription to Calm.)
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note on COVID-19: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations due to disability, medical condition, or bona fide religious belief will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.