Job Description: Campus Organizer
Reports to: Youth Organizing Director
Salary: $4,000/month ($48,000/year), generous benefits package
Start date: Currently Open
About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: For the next four years, Wisconsin state politics will carry an almost unprecedented intensity and level of historical significance. Analysts agree Wisconsin is the state most likely to tip the Electoral College in the 2020 presidential election. And with redistricting on the horizon, the 2020 state legislative elections will shape the state and nation’s political future for a decade to come. And in 2022, the state will hold deeply competitive and consequential statewide elections, including for Governor, US Senator, and newly drawn legislative districts.
For the sake of the state’s future – and the nation’s – the Democratic Party of Wisconsin seeks an intelligent, personable, organized, self-starting individual to join our team.
The Opportunity: As a campus organizer, you will build grassroots teams on campus that will engage in direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment and volunteer retention. You will be responsible for executing a field program that works to elect Democrats up & down the ticket by building & maintaining the local volunteer infrastructure necessary for success in the Spring Elections, the November General Elections and beyond.
• Work to elect all Democrats up and down the ticket.
• Work to build grassroots teams on campus that will then engage in direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment and retention.
• Create a strong progressive presence on your assigned campus turf.
• Implement grassroots field tactics, including managing and executing effective activities, such as high traffic canvassing, door-to-door canvassing, voter registration, texting, and more.
• Work to develop strong relationships with local stakeholders and constituency groups, including College Democrat chairs and members, local grassroots organizations and student organizations, and partner and ally groups.
• Help to build the local volunteer infrastructure necessary for success in the Spring Elections, November General Elections, and beyond.
• Meet ambitious voter registration and commit to vote goals.
• Responsible for executing the 2020 statewide organizing and outreach programs across Wisconsin.
• Be a representative of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin and our policies, including neutrality as directed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Desire to fight for Democratic values and candidates.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills are a must. Namely, can connect with others, quickly gain trust & motivate volunteers, staff, community members, and coalition partners, including in particular across lines of difference.
• Growth mindset: ability to take and implement feedback.
• Relentlessly goal-oriented: enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals; willing to go over, under, around, or through any obstacle that gets in the way of meeting goals.
• Cultural competency: able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers who identify as POCI, and across lines of difference.
• Ability to work long days with irregular hours. You have the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up your sleeves and getting the work done.
• Previous campus organizing experience preferred, but not required.
• Applicants should have access to a vehicle, and be willing to travel frequently.
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful in this role, the candidate must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse group of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.