Democratic Party of Wisconsin’s Coordinated Campaign
Job Description: Campus Organizer
Reports to: Youth Organizing Director
Wages: At least $935.00 per week, with guaranteed 50 hours (10 overtime) a week at 17.00/hr, and 25.50/hr overtime
Start date: Aug. 2022
Proudly a Bargaining Unit Position with the Campaign Workers Guild!
About the Democratic Party of Wisconsin: WisDems is nationally recognized as one of the country’s highest-performing and most pivotal political organizations. In the 2022 election cycle, WisDems will continue to build a massive program to re-elect Governor Tony Evers, defeat Ron Johnson in order to ensure a Democratic US Senate majority, elect candidates up and down the ballot in spring and fall elections alike, and advocate on policy issues. WisDems’ work is grounded in inclusion, respect, and empowerment across race, gender, other dimensions of identity, and the rural/suburban/urban divide. Our work continues year-round, collaborating with partners to build a movement that delivers meaningful change for all Wisconsinites. We seek outstanding applicants who share our values and vision to join the team, help win elections, and build a future where everyone can thrive.
The Opportunity: As a campus organizer, you will build grassroots teams on campus that will engage in direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment, and volunteer retention. You will be responsible for executing a field program that works to elect Democrats up & down the ticket by building & maintaining the local volunteer infrastructure necessary for success in the November General Election and beyond.
• Work to elect all Democrats up and down the ticket.
• Work to build grassroots teams on campus that will then engage in direct voter contact, volunteer recruitment, and retention.
•Create a strong progressive presence on your assigned campus turf.
• Implement grassroots field tactics, including managing and executing effective activities, such as high traffic canvassing, door-to-door canvassing, voter registration, texting, and more.
• Work to develop strong relationships with local stakeholders and constituency groups, including College Democrat chairs and members, local grassroots organizations and student organizations, and partner and ally groups.
• Help to build the local volunteer infrastructure necessary for success in the Spring Elections, November General Elections, and beyond.
• Meet ambitious voter registration and commit to vote goals.
• Responsible for executing the 2020 statewide organizing and outreach programs across Wisconsin.
• Be a representative of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin and our policies, including neutrality as directed.
• Other duties as assigned.
- Desire to fight for Democratic values and candidates.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills are a must. Namely, can connect with others, quickly gain trust & motivate volunteers, staff, community members, and coalition partners, including in particular across lines of difference.
- Growth mindset: ability to take and implement feedback.
- Relentlessly goal-oriented: enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals; willing to go over, under, around, or through any obstacle that gets in the way of meeting goals.
- Cultural competency: able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, voters, and volunteers who identify as POCI, and across lines of difference.
- Ability to work long days with irregular hours. You have the capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up your sleeves and getting the work done.
- Previous campus organizing experience is preferred, but not required.
- Applicants should have access to a vehicle, and be willing to travel frequently.
Benefits: Great benefits including; excellent health care ($1/month), dental ($1/month), vision ($1/month), life insurance (free), short-term and long-term disability (free), free Better Help virtual therapy, free Calm premium subscription, monthly cell phone stipend, 10 days paid vacation, retirement plan with 3% employer match, 3 floating holidays, 9 paid holidays, plus more!
Equity and Inclusion: The Democratic Party of Wisconsin has a vision for a deeply inclusive and diverse party organization, membership, and electorate. In order to be successful at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, candidates must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse array of constituency groups. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, Muslim, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ communities. The Democratic Party of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note on COVID-19: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment, except where prohibited by law. Reasonable accommodations due to disability, medical condition, or bona fide religious belief will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.